September 10, 2007

The American Heritage® Dictionary Pronunciation Key

I don't agree with The American Heritage® Dictionary Pronunciation Key, but then again I am Canadian.

I Shall express myself any ways.

The examples: about, item, edible, gallop, circus
The key: ə

However, I think the 'a' in about should be ā as in pat, and the 'e' in item should be ě as in pet, and the 'i' in item should be ĭ as in pit, and the 'o' in gallop and the 'u' in circus should be ŭ as in cut.

Really, I think none of those words should alike except the last two. So I suppose Americans say "I wanted to talk to you ubout the itum of the eduble horse that gallups at the circus." But then, that may be inaccurate too.

Can any one tell me what sound ə actually stands for?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive