June 08, 2008

Enriching the Soul: Iron

Munro, Rona: Iron. Seven Thirty Productions. Dir John P. Kelly.

Seen at Arts Court Theater on June 4 2008.

Synopsis: "Josie and her mother FAy have not met for 15 years. Josie a globetrotting 25 year old, is very successful at work but her emotional life is out of kilter. Fay has lived 15 years in prison, seing the sun only when she lies on the floor of her cell. Now mother and daughter are reunited. Josie wants her mother's memories of the years before Fay was sentenced to like in prison."

This was an enjoyable play, really touching on human experience and quite the tear jerker. They did a really great job of demonstration human needs and reactions. A great play for a psych student :) It's interesting to see the two main characters grow threw each other. Josie needs her mother to remember her childhood, and Fay needs her daughter to experience the outside world. They live through each other, and come to terms with dark emotions within themselves.

I always prefer comedies, but this is a well thought out play, and quite enjoyable and has a superb ending.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you enjoyed it! (It was more expensive than I thought, eh?)

    I particularly liked when the lighting went all red and they started speaking to the audience instead of each other -- it really involved me further; I could almost picture myself being one of the characters in the conversation.

    Fringe soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops -- that was me, but I forgot to sign my name :-}

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive