November 07, 2008

Reading for Leisure #8: Niffenegger

Niffenegger, Audrey (2005): The Time Traveler's Wife. Vintage Random House, London.

This book was pretty good, and I would recommend it. It certainly kept me reading for the 500 some pages. Although the title sounds like science fiction, it is not. It's a romance story about timeless love.

The dealyo with the story is that Henry has a genetic disease which, when he is stressed, sends him hurtling through time completely naked, mostly into the past. He meets his wife for her first time when she is six. Her love so grand she waits until she is 20 something until he meets her for the fist time.

The story keeps you reading to get explanations for all the oddities, but I didn't appreciate the authors sense of humour and I was certainly disappointed with the ending. It is a bittersweet ending, and I am able to appreciate those, but I think this one was poorly done. I was not sufficiently sorry for Clare, nor did I find Henry a character I think worthy of waiting for, for me to appreciate the ending as it was.

All in all though, it is suspense filled and intriguing, and an interesting take on love and life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive