August 28, 2003

Mars

As you have no doubt heard in the news, right now, Mars is the closet to planet Earth that it has ever been in 60 000 years. Like I mentioned in one of my earliest blogs, I like to calculate useless things. The distance, at its very closest was 55,757,930 km. I wanted to know how long it would take me to drive to Mars at 100 km/h. I calculated that it would take 64 years to get to Mars if I were to travel at the given speed when the two planets are at minimum distance. I can only imagine how long the trip would be during the other 59 999 years.

I wrote this to my aunt, to which she responded:

By the way - your calculations are correct. It would take 64
years at 100 km
per hour. So you should move to Alberta, where the speed limit
is 110 km/hr,
and save yourself approx. 5 years :)))!!!

But as I am writing this, I realise that we both failed to take into account that the gap is getting bigger all the time. In 20 years there will be a significant difference from the minimum distance. Since the distance is increasing (I assume at a constant rate) It looks like we are in need of some calculus. Too bad it's summer, and I'm not that much of a geek to care. The point is, that it would take much, much, much longer than 64 years to reach Mars at 100 km/h.

Today's lesson: Don't drive to Mars, or else you'll die.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive